I stepped back from posting WIAW because they can be a bit of a snooze after awhile. The best part is, of course, the photos of food (who doesn’t love those), but I sometimes feel pressure to fib a bit and not share exactly what I ate on Tuesday (I went shopping for alllll the healthy foods yesterday and STILL had butter noodles for dinner because I got home so late and realized my shrimp had gone bad. Woof). So while I didn’t snap a pic of the evidence of my malnutrition, I like to share generally what I eat around these parts. I just want to remain transparent that I make good choices and bad ones, and am a work in progress on the healthy living front, as we all are. Sound good?
So today I’ll share what I’ve been eating recently. Because, as we already established, food photos are king.
Honestly, I LOVE when people share photos of their loot. It’s better than individual meal photos to me. Maybe it’s the lighting? Maybe it’s food porn overload? Regardless, groceries are gorgeous.
Thoughts on these groceries:
- Mangoes are weird. How do you serve them? Why are they never just ripe enough?
- How many pesticides are really on my potatoes? That article last week said TONS.
- 0% Greek Yogurt is pointless but I guess it’ll do. I want 4% back.
- I wonder if my mom is going to call me and scold me for my choice in “bottomfeeder” seafood (thank god I avoided the tilapia).
- Why did I buy another white onion?
- Why didn’t I buy any chips? I’m going to end up eating my roommates’ anyway and then have to replace them. But this way I can pretend I’m not going to eat them, I guess.
Here is the breakfast to end all breakfasts. Aside from on-the-go meals this has been my first meal of the day since I participated in the 21-day challenge back in November. I’ve loved it ever since. There’s something delightfully simple about serving eggs, potatoes, and avocado on top of a bed of spinach and calling it a day. It’s a perfect blend of fat/carbs/protein and I feel like I’m getting a killer head start on sneaking veggies into my day.
Lunches have been simple (when they aren’t truffle butter grilled cheese). I’ve tried to steer away from sandwiches because I’ve been subconsciously told over and over that sandwiches are “bad” (annoying as hell now that I’m thinking about it), but at the end of the day, I love sandwiches. I love processed bread with wholesome ingredients stuffed to the brim inside. So sue me.
Avocado is the real comeback kid of my life story. I eat one a day on average.
Dinner is always an adventure. If I’m not working late, I love coming home around 4 or 5 and getting to work on a delicious meal, not finishing until close to 7:30 and finally sitting down to enjoy. I’ve also had friends over weekly for the past month or so to cook with me which is honestly how I would spend every night if I could. Good food, good friends, good gossip, good wine.
Shrimp has been on sale lately, and since I finally learned how to clean them properly they’ve been making many appearances. To keep up the transparency of this post, I’ve spent MONTHS not cleaning them properly — aka shrimp poop has been allll up inside me. WONDERFUL.
My go-to shrimp marinade: olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cajun spices, all tossed together in a ziplock bag to soak up the goodness. Then I just throw them on the stove for two minutes or so and voila!
Another treat that I’ve been making almost every night? BRUSSELS SPROUTS. I know 99% of you reading are just as head over heels in love with them as I am so I’ll spare you. But roasted brussels sprouts are how wars are started. It’s that passionate of a love affair.
Whatever chocolate I can get my hands on. And lots of it.
- Do you often eat the same things for weeks on end like I do?
- What’s the longest you’ve been obsessed with one meal or snack?
- I think I ate a chocolate FiberOne bar everyday for a year and then one day I woke up and couldn’t stomach them.