Since summer is coming, I thought now would be the perfect time to share one of my all-time favorite recipes for citrus butter shrimp. It’s the perfect summer dish because it allows shrimp to bask in its pure glory while also drowning in melted butter, lemon and red pepper flakes. Ok maybe not perfect for summer…you have to put up with the oven, heating up the whole house—but thou shalt sacrifice for delicious food, n’est-ce pas?
As warm weather peeks its head out I start to crave simpler foods. This dish covers all the bases, and I hope you’re inspired to make it as well!
**Also Chelsea just informed me that today is National Shrimp Day! Am I psychic or what??
Citrus Butter Shrimp
- 1 pound raw shrimp (16 oz bag)
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Red pepper flakes
- Optional: oregano, thyme, garlic salt, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Thaw, clean and take the tails off your shrimp according to package directions (I used TJ’s organic raw frozen shrimp)
- Melt butter in a pan (I used a 9 inch circular pan) by placing it in the oven for a minute or two. Then take the pan back out of the oven.
- Slice the lemon and layer the pieces on top of the butter
- Arrange the shrimp on top of the lemon/butter mixture. Stir around so all the shrimp is getting some butter action.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with red pepper flakes (I used just 3-4 shakes, or a tablespoon)
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through
- Take out of the oven and ENJOY!
If the amount of butter scares you off, never fear! Much of it is leftover in the pan. It’s just a wonderful cooking agent that really brings out the beauty and simplicity in shrimp. Plus, if butter scares you, you have bigger fish to fry (no pun intended).
No panko, no frying, no bread, nada. Just simple, beautiful citrus butter shrimp. I squeeze a little extra lemon over my final serving, but do whatever floats your boat.
- Are you a shrimp lover? What’s your favorite recipe?
- What’s one thing you’re looking forward to this weekend?
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND and don’t forget to grab your mom some beautiful tulips for Mother’s Day!