You guys, it would be a sin, a downright sin, if I didn’t share this recipe with you. I’ve never been an easy girl to please in the grilled cheese department. If you hand me some Kraft singles in between Wonder Bread I’ll shoot you a stink eye like none other. That kind of simplicity just doesn’t do it for me. But hey, I’m an American, so of course I love throwing cheese, butter and bread together and calling it a meal. Here’s the quick, easy, and did I mention cheap recipe I threw together last night. PS whatever you do, do not be afraid of Havarti. It tastes like butter. It’s basically a butter and butter sandwich. So just make it.
Tomato-Basil & Havarti Grilled Cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches
- Loaf of fresh Italian bread
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 bunch basil (3 leaves per sandwich)
- 2 slices of Havarti cheese
- Heat skillet to medium heat
- Soften the butter so it’s spreadable
- Slice four pieces of Italian bread, about ½ inch thick each
- Spread the butter on one side of all four pieces of bread
- Once the skillet is hot, place two slices of bread butter-side down in the pan
- Layer each piece with the cheese first, then topped with the tomato and three leaves of basil
- Top the sandwiches with the final two slices of bread, butter-side up
- Put lid on top to help the cheese melt
- After about three minutes, check if the bottoms of the sandwiches are crispy and light brown. If so, flip ‘em over!
- Press down on the sandwiches periodically. It’s not a Panini but the cheese and veggies will mesh perfectly together with just a few nudges
- Once the other side is light brown and crispy, you’re all set!
I ate my sandwich in two minutes. So there’s that. Enjoy!
- What’s your favorite style of grilled cheese? For me, there has to be tomato in there.