Apparently I can never ever leave the wonderful world of blogging for a full week ever again. I leave for seven freaking days and this girl and this girl quit their jobs, this girl decides she’s moving, and this girl starts a whole new blog. It’s decided—I can never leave again otherwise I miss out on way too much. I have a bad case of FOMO, can you tell?
So today I ran into half a dozen people all partaking in my personal pet peeves. Gum smacking girl? Check. Coffee slurping? Check. Walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk? Check. Talking with a Bluetooth in your ear? Check. Wearing sunglasses indoors? Check. Man it was like a heyday of people doing little things that bug me! I was thinking about dedicating a whole post to pet peeves when I realized that would go against everything we’ve been talking about lately. The whole “glass half full” kinda stuff. So today we’re going to talk, not about pet peeves, but about little loves.
Little loves. Yep, that’s right, I’ve personally created a term to describe the opposite of pet peeves. I’m pretty much Webster. So in the spirit of positivity, hope, and optimism, let’s talk about our little loves.
When people hold the door for me
- This just comes down to common courtesy. It’s not the physical action of having the door held open for me that I love. It’s the fact that someone else, in their own little world, thought enough about someone else to hold the door open after them. Little actions like that are more scarce in our society where we’re wrapped up in a text or a phone call. So when a stranger holds the door open for me I get a huge boost of happiness for humanity.
When someone compliments my lunch
- In case you haven’t realized it by my blog title, I love lunch. Nine out of ten times I put thought, love, and creativity into my lunch. Lately my coworkers have been commenting on my creations and it really brightens my day.
When baristas leave enough room for cream in my coffee cup
- I’ve been a barista. I know it’s crappy to dump coffee in the trash can (seriously, people, where do you think that liquid goes?) But if I ask for “room for cream” and you leave me with a centimeter at the top, you leave me no choice! So when a barista is on my level and leaves me that beautiful full inch of room, enough so I can pour in cream, sugar AND stir it with no problem? Well, I love that.
When an episode of Diner’s Drive Ins and Dives comes on that I’ve never seen before
- Or the Kardashian’s. So sue me.
When you get to the register at a clothing store and realize that what you’re buying is actually on sale.
- Who doesn’t love saving money by surprise?
When you’re eating regular French fries and find a random curly fry.
- I don’t watch HIMYM very often but this happened in an episode recently and I remembered how awesome of a feeling it is to be surprised by a curly fry straggler.
When you read a random Pinterest recipe and have the urge to make it that second and realize that yes, by some random act of God, you have all the ingredients in your fridge.
Those are just a few of the everyday things that brighten my day. What are some of yours?
This is such a good list! I definitely agree with you on the room for milk/cream in your coffee! And it is always so exciting when you realize you actually have all of the ingredients you need to make something! Have a good weekend!
Being completely prepared to make a random recipe is a strangely huge success in life haha
I loved the way you turned this around! I had such a similar day yesterday! Not to mention some “meat head” guys commenting on my workout, one of my biggest pet peeves lol it really reminded me to start today with some positives because there is no reason to ruin your day over something that is not under your control!
I would be so upset if someone commented on something I was doing while working out….ESPECIALLY a guy like that. You can’t really control how your day goes but it doesn’t hurt starting it off with lots of positivity!
Love this post! Such small things, but they can really brighten a day. And yes to the HIMYM reference – not something I’d ever thought of before, but it absolutely makes me ridiculously happy when I find a stray curly fry!
That episode was so funny! I had never thought about curly fries that way before but you’re right, it makes you ridiculously happy! and if someone took mine…..whoa watch out haha
haha yes to all the ingredients for the pinterest recipe!
It hardly ever happens but when it does it’s like all the stars aligned 🙂
Love your list! And I laughed so hard at the triple D/ kardashians one, I am totally the same!
No judgment! Those shows are the epitome of relaxing and mindless for me haha
Little loves have got to be better for your mood than pet peeves. Whenever things go south, I try to think of the little stuff too. I love snail mail! Makes my day 🙂 I also get excited when someone holds my door. And I think that’s kinda sad! It’s a common courtesy… it shouldn’t come as a shock or light us up with joy the way it does. It should just be the norm.
One week from today I am DONE. I can’t wait to walk out of my office like a boss and never turn back!!
snail mail is a good one too (as long as it isn’t a bill haha)! Please tell me you’re going to leave on your last day in some epic fashion. You have to after all you’ve been put through!
My whole team is spread out around the world. No ones in the SD office, so I’m drawing a blank on how to exit in style. Any ideas?
Finding a curly fry in a sea of straight is like french fry gold.
Coming from a potato-lover like you that says a lot 🙂 haha