I’m joining in on the fun for the first time this week and participating in Sara’s Tried It Tuesday link-up!
I’ve been pulling a Ron Swanson lately and trying to eat more meat than I’ve eaten in years. I’ve pretty much adopted the philosophy that if food looks good, it’s going in my mouth no matter what animal it contains. I don’t know why this is happening but bacon is smelling more delicious with each passing hour, and I can barely go a full workday without dreaming of a ham and cheese panini. So I’m not questioning it and slowly reintroducing different types of meat back in the ol’ diet.
BUT, and there’s a big BUT, there are a few caveats to this new-found philosophy:
- I still don’t eat beef. Nope, never, nada. It’s not a preference thing, I just have hardly ever eaten it so it doesn’t even cross my mind as food.
- Fish + Chicken first. Because they are the kindest to my stomach and the most versatile to cook with
- I only buy organic, cage-free poultry without additives. So yes, I spend an obscene…OBSCENE…amount of money on meat for a single 20-something girl. But it’s how I’m able to eat meat — I HAVE to know that what I’m eating doesn’t have any “secrets,” ya feel me?
- When I’m out to eat, I rarely eat meat at places that aren’t farm-to-table restaurants. Because if I bite down and I hit anything chewy or suspicious, I’m done. The meal is over. I won’t be able to finish it. What a shame that would be!
So how has this trial period back on the meat wagon been treating me? Rather deliciously, I have to say.
That delicious bacon I had on Sunday? It was crunchy, thick-cut and sweet. It took this breakfast to a whole other level. And I know it came from a local farm and was responsibly produced.
That deli meat I use to make my almost-daily turkey pesto sandwiches that I often just end up eating on the floor? Yeah, it costs me close to $10 a pound. So what? THEY’RE INCREDIBLE. Have you even stuck a turkey sandwich in the microwave for 20 seconds? Have you ever stuck a turkey sandwich with pesto in the microwave for 20 seconds? Have you ever stuck a turkey sandwich with pesto AND CHEESE in the microwave for 20 seconds? Too good.
And last, but certainly the BIGGEST accomplishment of my “Tried It Tuesday” adventure was that, for the first time in over a decade, I had sausage. With a runny egg on top.
I’m not going to lie. This was tough. The flavors were all there and it was a spot-on delicious breakfast sandwich, but my stomach wasn’t happy with its reintroduction to sausage But I trusted that the restaurant uses only quality ingredients in its sausage, no mystery meat, so I took a leap of faith. I don’t think I’ll be doing sausage again for awhile, but BACON, WELCOME BACK INTO MY WORLD. How I’ve missed you 🙂
How long will this meat experimentation last? Who knows. And don’t be surprised if a week from today I’m a freaking vegan (just kidding that would be excessive even for me). But I go through phases of being comfortable with different types of food, so for now I’m just going to blissfully ride the bacon train.
- Are you “weird” about meat?
- What’s your favorite meat dish?
- What’s the most interesting meat you’ve ever tried?